If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s reckless or negligent actions in Granite Bay, the lawyers at The Sevey Law Firm want to help you stand up for your rights. When reckless drivers, property owners, doctors, and more act carelessly and you are injured as a result, you may have the right to hold them financially accountable for your resulting injuries.
Persons injured by another’s negligence may feel hopeless, especially if an intimidating major corporation or trucking company is involved. With The Sevey Law Firm working injury claims for residents of Placer County, these companies will not be able to take advantage of victims and pressure them into accepting lowball settlements. We take many personal injury and auto accident cases for people of Granite Bay. Let’s discuss your incident and how we can make things right by calling (916) 788-7100 today.
Granite Bay Personal Injury Attorney
By definition, personal injury encompasses injuries to body, emotions, or mind. It’s an area of tort law for which an individual can bring a civil action against an individual or entity that inflicted damage to their physical health and well-being. At our firm, we’ve taken numerous personal injury claims where one person experienced damage to all three areas simultaneously. California laws make filing civil action for personal injuries a complex process which requires proving the tortfeasor (the individual or company who hurt you) was responsible for your care during the time you were hurt. This is proven by offering evidence of:
- Duty of care. The individual that caused this injury must have been in a position where your presence invoked their right to care for you;
- Breach of duty. The at-fault party must have breached their duty by either provoking action, creating an environment where actions against you were possible, or directly causing an action against you;
- Causation. Their breach caused harm to you. This means physical, mental, or emotional.
- Damages. Your injury, a direct cause of their breach, resulted in measurable and significant damages.
The Sevey Law Firm is a Granite Bay personal injury law firm capable of finding this evidence and holding parties accountable for causing undue hardship and unnecessary financial losses.
Granite Bay Auto Accident Lawyer
Auto accidents are the most common form of personal injury. Whether the cause is reckless driving, inexperienced drivers, inclement weather, or distracted driving, they can cause serious damages, including death. The most common question an auto accident attorney often hears, in some form, is how the injured person must prove fault in these accidents. Here’s how our firm does it:
- Reference the California Vehicle Code to reveal potential driver violations;
- Subpoena the accident report, which is often comprehensively prepared by law enforcement;
- Revisit the accident scene where skid marks, debris, and other clues often tell us what happened;
- Use photographs taken by witnesses, law enforcement, or the victim themselves; and
- Look over video footage from traffic cams or nearby buildings and businesses.
We’re able to find even the smallest bits of evidence to substantiate your claim. In fact, the more evidence that’s made available to us, the greater your chances are of receiving settlements much larger than what insurers offer.
Common Forms of Personal Injury
Throughout history, tort laws have expanded the definition of personal injury to include many forms of legal wrongdoing. Some common forms include:
- Premises liabilities. These are defined as injuries which happen on another’s premises, and include slip and falls, escalator/elevator injuries, dog bites, construction accidents, and similar.
- Vehicles accidents. Truck accidents, auto wrecks, scooter accidents, accidents with commercial vehicles, ridesharing companies, taxis, and all other accidents where a vehicle you operate was battered by another vehicle fall into this category.
- Pedestrian injuries. Pedestrians are afforded certain rights in accordance with Granite Bay city laws. If someone plows into a pedestrian while they’re legally in a crosswalk, for example, civil action may be brought against the driver.
- Defamation. These are attacks on one’s reputation and character, and are often referred to as libel and slander.
- Medical malpractice. Any medical professional who takes the Hippocratic Oath but fails in their duty to properly care for, or operate on, patients under their care may be held liable for medical malpractice.
- Intentional torts. These often stem from criminal activity such as assaults and batteries. While there will be criminal charges brought against the assailant, there’s a civil component of their actions which victims may seek compensation for.
At The Sevey Law Firm, we have experience with all of these kinds of personal injury claims, so we are prepared for any case you bring to us.
FAQs about Granite Bay Injury Law
Questions about injury law in general? We have answers to some common client questions. Note that these should be used to inform you and not to establish an attorney-client relationship.
What is the time frame to file personal injury claims in court?
Injured Californians are given two (2) years to file their claim in Placer County Court from the time they sustained injury. If filing against city, county, or government agencies, that shrinks to six (6) months and comes with strict rules and procedures for filing. Since you may not know which court you will need to file in, do not hesitate to contact a lawyer after your accident.
Can you sue cars with no drivers?
Self-driving cars are becoming more common out on the roads, but accidents involving them are still possible. Procedures involved with holding these vehicles accountable is quite complex since they’re controlled by satellite. Contact our firm immediately to discuss your options if your injury involves an autonomous car.
Does filing my claim guarantee compensation?
No claim comes with an agreement where settlement is promised. However, if we take your case, it is very likely that you will receive some form of compensation. Furthermore, in the unlikely event that we are unable to recover compensation for you, we will not charge you any attorney fees.
Granite Bay Personal Injury and Auto Accident Lawyer
Even in a place as peaceful as Granite Bay, accidents can occur, with devastating consequences. When those accidents occur, count on The Sevey Law Firm to hold the negligent party accountable. If you or someone you love need competent, caring, and experienced legal representation in an auto accident or other personal injury matter, phone us at (916) 788-7100. Consultations are always free.